Our heritage properties
Arnold’s Private Hospital
The residence was constructed in 1908 and is located at 203 8th Street West. Mrs. Elizabeth Arnold, a trained nurse, opened a private hospital to aid the typhoid victims of 1905-1906. A typhoid epidemic hit Regina in 1892 and in 1911 there was a free distribution of typhod vaccine in Saskatchewan. By 1921 the number of cases had decreased dramatically. The Henderson’s Directory of 1908 lists Doctors Peter Stewart and Harry A. Stewart at the hospital. Dr. Peter Stewart was Saskatoon’s first full-time doctor and first health officer. Around 1911 the house was re-named Arnold’s Maternity Hospital. Shortly after the death of Mrs. Arnold’s husband in 1913, the Hospital closed. By that time City Hospital and St. Paul’s Hospital were operating. After Elizabeth Arnold’s death around 1946, her daughter Winnifred moved into the house and resided there until 1964.
Located at 121 7th Street East, this residence was built in 1921 and was entered in the 1987 City of Saskatoon Awards for sympathetic renovation. The original identity of the home has been kept intact and it remains as a beautiful example of historical architecture for residential homes in the Buena Vista area.
Buena Vista School
Built in 1912 and opened in 1913, the BV School on Lorne Ave is one our heritage buildings. You can read more about it here.
*The information contained in this historiography was provided by Saskatoon Heritage, City of Saskatoon, and summarized by Sean Sass, BVCA.*